ARE YOU NEW TO CLUBWAKA?
Show of hands if you’re new to CLUBWAKA, ready to play, but still a tiny bit uncomfortable with the unknown and unfamiliar faces you’re about to be huddled up with for your first season? With spring getting sprung on Sunday, March 20th, you can bet our adult sports leagues across the nation are excited. The kickball, softball, and volleyball seasons will also soon start.
But what’s running through the minds of the seasoned players right now, and what may be running through yours, if you’re new to CLUBWAKA, might be football fields apart. For example, have you had one of these thoughts:
- Am I going to fit in?
- How will I know what to do?
- How am I going to learn all these new names?
- What if I’m not as good a player as everyone else?
- Will this look like a junior high dance but with returning players on one side and newbies on the other?
All fair questions! We’ll tackle the answers by sharing a “what to to do” strategy if you’re new to CLUBWAKA. Read through and do what’s on the list, and you’ll surely score some points with your new teammates.
- SHOW UP: It seems kind of “duh,” right? But thinking about the team and your willingness to be a part of it helps get you in the spirit. It’s also good for accountability. Next, think about the skills and qualities you have that might benefit the team. Are you extremely organized, are you good with numbers, are you the funny person who’s able to make jokes and vibe well in any situation? Your skills and qualities set you apart, making you a unique asset to the team. But they also help you unify and mesh well with the team, too. Lastly, remember this: you aren’t the first and won’t be the last person to be new to CLUBWAKA. Everyone else made it, and you can, too. In fact, many people find partners and love by joining an adult sports league. Just sayin’.
- READ THE RULE BOOKS: If you’re new to CLUBWAKA, you’ll have a learning curve ( and a tiny bit of
homework.) Make sure to read the rule book for the sport you are playing. Rules vary from city to city, league to league. Rules also sometimes change from season to season. You’ll do yourself a favor by familiarizing yourself with the dos and don’ts of the game.
After you’re done reading through the rule book, make sure to ask plenty of questions. You won’t be bothering anyone by doing so, you’ll instead be taking the first step to being a better player. The rule books can be found on our league pages. The rule books, in some cases, are 10 to 12 pages long. But we’re not cruel. They also have plenty of diagrams and photos. You’re welcome! And welcome aboard!
- GO TO THE SPONSOR BAR: Yup, we’re encouraging you to drink (responsibly). We’ve made it really easy to get to know your teammates. You’ll also enjoy discounted food and drinks. The sponsor bars are where the magic happens. It’s where you’ll learn about Clubwaka. It’s where players met as strangers but later became husband and wife, best men or bridesmaids at weddings, co-workers, best friends — even your own personal moving company should you change residences. Just KIDDING on that last one (but it’s probably true.) CLUBWAKA is a social organization first and foremost. We’re about relationships and having a good time. Our motto and hashtag say it all. #BeFunner
- TAKE PHOTOS & VIDEO: Soon, you’ll thank us for this tip. Who doesn’t like watching a great play, or seeing the chant in the huddle, or that unexpected moment? You’ll look back at these photos and videos smiling because these won’t just be random people in the pictures. These will be your friends. How many times have you said “I wish someone had taken video or snapped a picture of that” elsewhere in your life? Now, you’ll be able to make sure the documenting happens. Sharing these videos and photos on Social Media not only promotes your sports playing but posting an album, for example, allows a way for other teammates to download or look at the photos. CLUBWAKA has quite a few Facebook and Instagram pages. Make sure to “like” or “follow” the national pages as that’s where important information is filtered. Next, do the same for the local pages that correspond to your city. Your League & Social Manager will have the handles. Finally, you’ll want to join the Facebook Group that corresponds with either your CLUBWAKA sport or city. Since they are all named something different, ask your teammates for the group name.
- ASK HOW YOU CAN HELP: Understanding how the whole infrastructure works will take some time. However, you can accelerate the learning by asking how you can help out. Taking on a role shows your enthusiasm and commitment. CLUBWAKA players appreciate someone who can participate, showing their enthusiasm and dedication. Among the areas for helping out might be the Equipment Manager role. It may not be the most fun job. However, it turned out to be one of the best decisions Alex in Las Vegas made. That’s how he met his soon-to-be wife. Good things come from places and positions we least expect.So, if you’re new to CLUBWAKA, how do you feel after reading the to-do list? You’ll have no trouble navigating your way through our exciting social club. And, you already have something in common with everyone you’ll meet on day 1: they too were once new. They get it. If you’re reading this and you haven’t found a league yet, what are you waiting for? Do you want us to threaten you with a good time?